We are dedicated to giving voice to local experts and enthusiasts of pop culture, and we’d like you to consider running panels at our events.
If you have deep knowledge of pop culture and like to present before an audience, we encourage you to submit your own ideas for panels or let us know that you think you could present one of these here. (Scroll down for list).
SCROLL DOWN FOR PANEL IDEAS:
TO APPLY to present one of our panel ideas, send an email to email@example.com
Include the following in your email:
Subject: Raleigh Supercon Panel Interest
Your Phone Number
The Panels you’d like to present
A brief explanation of how you’d present that panel.
Guest panelists get free admission on the day they are scheduled to host a panel. Some panelists may be approved to host one per day for up to 4 days free admission.
ADVENTURES IN PODCASTING
Learn how this panel of podcasters built their shows, overcame obstacles, and had a grand time bringing you topical interviews.
ADVENTURES IN SELF-PUBLISHING
How to self-publish and sell your own comic book or novel.
ADVENTURES OF A GAMEMASTER
Get tips for planning an adventure that is sure to keep your friends talking for days.
ANIME FOODS WE WISH WERE REAL
The best foods that don’t exist.
Let’s explore the magical side of anime from sorcerers to witches.
BEHIND THE BLOCKBUSTER
You’ve seen the Superhero Blockbusters, now get the Comic Book history behind it all.
BREAKING CONVENTION WITH TV AND MOVIES
Science Fiction has a history of advancing social evolution. This panel will review the pivotal TV Series and Movies that have broken convention to advance new norms.
From Garfield to Catwoman to Luna, let’s talk about why we love cats.
CLASSIC SCI-FI BOOKS
From Bradbury to Wells, let’s talk about the most moving stories of science fiction literature and how those stories have shaped society.
Calling all Experienced Gamemasters! Let’s get to the bottom of how your guild can create a story beyond your wildest imagination.
COMIC BOOKS FOR RELUCTANT READERS
[EDUCATOR’S NAME] talks about the comic books that are great for capturing the imagination of reluctant readers ages 6 – 12.
CONFUCIAN VALUES IN ANIME AND MANGA
Let’s talk about the Confucian values promoted in anime like Naruto and Bleach.
Want to make new friends but you don’t know what to talk about? Pull up a chair and select a conversation from our menu.
[COSPLAYER NAMES] discuss the basics in costuming to help beginning costumers get started. The talented panelists will show you how to get in on all the cosplaying fun even if you’ve never sewn a stitch in your life.
A guide to cosplay first aid kits from seasoned conventioneers.
COSPLAY MAKEUP 101
Learn about the basics of cosplay makeup and pick the brains of professional makeup artists and cosplayers.
Get insider tips to level up your cosplays.
Find out about the new, semi-cosplay fashion trend for Disney nerds.
ENTER THE SINGULARITY
Let’s examine what modern science fiction predicts for our future with artificial intelligence and debate the impact on society.
FIND YOUR INNER REBEL
You Say You Want a Revolution… Get Tips from Star Wars Experts on how to form The Resistance.
With more games becoming competitive at higher levels, and the rise of streaming publicly, gaming has become surprisingly stressful. Join us for some tips on finding your inner chill so you don’t lose your cool.
[GEEK MOM’S NAME] tells stories about raising kids to be proud geeks with lots of craftiness and creativity.
GEEK TO PROFESSIONAL
How comics and science fiction inspired me take giant leaps in a single bound and soar to new heights in my career.
[GEEK TRAVELER] reveals the hidden geeky secrets hidden in some unexpected places.
Have a discussion about your ideas and the pros and cons of genderbending cosplay with your peers.
GUY FRIENDS IN ANIME
Stories about Guy Friendships are popular in Anime. How have these stories affected your life and your friends?
HAPPILY EVER AFTER
[PANELIST] will examine the enduring appeal of fairy tales and other classics.
HEROES IN VIDEO GAMES
We forge deep connections with our video game heroes. Which ones have made the biggest impact in your life?
HEROIC LEADING WOMEN
Jodie Whittaker, Daisy Ridley, Jennifer Lawrence, Scarlett Johansson, Gal Gadot, Melissa Benoist, and more inspire a new generation of geek gals. What can we learn from these leading ladies?
HIDDEN GEMS: ANIME YOU MIGHT HAVE MISSED
[PANELIST] goes over his list of anime that you may not have heard of, shows that got buried under the more hyped titles of their time, and series just too weird to recommend any other way.
HISTORY OF VIDEO GAMING AS SEEN ON NETFLIX
A discussion of the history of video games through the lens of the video game documentaries we can watch on Netflix.
HOBBY TO CAREER
[ARTIST, WRITER, CRAFTER, COSPLAYER, or PRODUCER] will discuss how they turned a hobby of art and design into a career in media.
HOOKED ON ANIME
Let’s talk about the characters and stories that have us Hooked on Anime.
HOW TO BE A SHOW HOST
Ever dreamed of being a host for the Emmys, Nerdist, Hyper RPG, Geek and Sundry, Nerdist, Buzzfeed, DC, Marvel, and other popular news outlets? Or do you want to host your own successful YouTube channel or podcast? [MODERATOR] brings you the men and women who know what it takes to be a breakout host, drawing in viewers all around the world week after week, without needing a second job!
HOW TO MAKE FAN ART THAT SELLS
[ARTIST] gives tips for creating fan art that sells at conventions.
HOW TO POSE LIKE A PRO
Learn how to pose for staic or action shots so that you embody the best of your character.
HOW TO RUN A FAN CLUB
Learn what it takes to plan, organize, and market events, and how to nourish a community of fans in a meaningful way for the modern day.
I MADE MY OWN DAMN MOVIE!
You’ve been inspired, you’ve gathered your friends, you’ve shot and edited your fandom film. Now bring it back and share the magic with your fellow creators on the big screen.
I’M HOOKED ON YA SCI-FI
10 YA (Young Adult) science fiction books you might have missed.
INTRODUCING RPGS TO KIDS
Join our panelists who specialize in playing RPGs with youth, and learn how they introduce the game, modify it, and make it an experience that welcomes young people into a hobby they’ll have for a lifetime.
IT DIDN’T LOOK THAT WAY IN MY HEAD
The creative process conforms to nothing. How to cope with the shifting sands of your imagination to produce something you can be proud of.
IT TAKES TWO TO MAKE A COMIC BOOK
[WRITER] and [ILLUSTRATOR] on [XX] Comic Book discuss how they bring words and art together to tell stories.
JAPANESE CULTURE IN ANIME
Values, Ettiquitte, Festivals, Crime, Social Issues, and more to learn about Japanese Culture through Anime
In Japan, cuteness is a very prevalent part of the culture. Let’s make America Kawaii!
LESSONS FROM THE APOCALYPSE
[WRITER] takes us on a journey of the deeper meaning behind apocalyptic fiction, and what dystopian novels can teach us about life in horrifying and humorous ways.
LET’S GET REAL ABOUT FANTASY
[WRITER] discusses techniques for writing realistic scenes and scenarios through fantasy in stories.
LIFE LESSONS ANIMATED
Life lessons come in unsuspecting packages and from unlikely heroes. From Buggs Bunny to Rick and Morty, let’s look at the advice we’ve picked up when we least noticed.
MAKE YOUR OWN DOCUMENTARY
Join [FILMMAKER] to discuss the challenges and rewards of creating a documentary film.
Learn more about the business of making comics from concept to publication.
MOMS AND MOTHERHOOD IN COMICS
What do comics have to say about motherhood? From Mother Boxes to the divine, depictions of the maternal in comics can reveal and subvert cultural attitudes about age, identity, and sexuality.
NEW TIME TRAVEL TV SERIES
If you love time travel, come chat about the new series you’ve watched and find out what others think of the ones you haven’t seen yet.
NOSTALGIC SCI-FI ON NETFLIX
Netflix brings young and old geeks together with its library of classic science fiction. [PANELIST] takes you on a journey of some of the best old shows you can binge.
PRINCIPLES OF GAMIFICATION
Gamification taps into basic human desires. Some examples include people’s need for recognition, reward, status, and achievement; their innate love of competition and collaboration; and the human desire for self-expression and altruism.
Tell us about the anime love stories that have altered your view of love for all time.
RPG CHARACTER BUILDING TIPS
Find your perfect hook for your new character and set forth on a great adventure!
SELF-IMAGE AND ANIME
How does Anime affect your views of gender, age, and sexuality?
In Cosplay, you can break all the norms. Let’s talk about creative ways to explore characters outside of gender, ethnic, and preferential norms.
SMASH WRITER’S BLOCK
Get tips to break through the barriers that are keeping you from writing.
Lets look at the space adventures that inspire us to leave the atmosphere.
SPIRITUALITY AND FANDOMS
Let’s talk about the heroic stories that bring us closer to our higher selves.
STAR TREK WISDOM
Passion or Logic? Let’s look at the competing life lessons we’ve learned from Star Trek.
STICK FIGURE STORIES
Storyboarding sometimes involves rudimentary art to set a scene. No talent required here! Let’s create comic strips with stick figures. All you need is an idea. Pencils and paper provided.
SUPERHEROES OF POSITIVITY
Join us for a discussion of how fandom can inspire greater confidence and self-esteem.
TEACHING WITH COMICS
This workshop guides participants through approaches to teaching comics and teaching with comics in k-12 classrooms.
THE HERO’S JOURNEY
Learn how to tell the story of a Hero in your writing.
Fellowship, mercy, hope, and more… let’s talk about the enduring values behind Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit.
TROPES THROUGH TIME
Tropes are like tent poles for great stories. What are some of the most classic tropes of all time?
TURN YOUR ART INTO MERCH
[ARTIST] will talk to you about creative ways to print and present your art online and at conventions.
USING RPGS AND LARPS FOR SOCIAL LEARNING
This panel talks about using games to help students learn about empathy, conflict negotiation, and creative problem solving (while making sure they learn about history, math, and other school subjects too!).
VIDEO GAMES CAN INCREASE SOCIAL CONNECTIONS
Let’s take a walk on the upside of gaming on relationships. How can gaming increase your connections?
VIDEO GAMES THAT TACKLE SOCIAL ISSUES
It’s not all just fun and games, video games also explore what we care about.
VILLAINS VS. HEROES IN GAMING
This panel discusses moral development in games and how it affects our thinking patterns based upon playing ruthlessly or compassionately.
WAIT FOR IT…
Writers wield character, dialogue, and scenarios with precision, leading readers through a gauntlet of plot beats designed to ratchet tension and escalate stakes. Join [WRITER] for tips on suspenseful writing.
WHAT COSPLAY MEANS TO ME
[COSPLAYER and COSPLAYER] talk about creating new costumes as a way to explore varied aspects of their personalities to stretch out of their comfort zones and into greater confidence.
WHAT IS THE BEST SUPERPOWER?
You’ve had this debate with your friends a million times, now have it with us.
WHAT IS YOUR ORIGIN STORY?
Bring an open mind and an open heart as we share how we turned into super geeks.
WHAT MAKES A GREAT TWITCH STREAM?
From equipment to presentation and style, learn what makes a great Twitch Stream.
WHAT MAKES YOU WEIRD?
Bring a sense of humor as our [HOSTS] and members of the audience share PG versions of what makes them weird.
WHAT TO EXPECT WHEN YOU’RE A COSPLAY FAMILY
Bringing kids to a con in cosplay is lots of fun and also a huge challenge. HOST and COSPLAYER want to hear your stories so we can all get the most out of Geek Family Life.
WIG STYLING 101
Wig styling is an important and intimidating part of cosplay. Learn how to style and care for your wigs.
WRITING ACTION IN A NOVEL
Great stories involve conflict, and this panel talks about how to write action and brawls into your stories so that it’s believable and exciting to read. [WRITER] will give you some tips on how you can include realistic and exciting action in your fiction.4
1. Registration deadline is April 1st, 2019. The earlier you submit your panel, the better chance you have of approval and a good time slot. No panels will be approved after that date. If you would like to host your own panel, it’s easy! Just fill out the form below and submit to us for consideration.
2. Preparation goes a long way. Be sure you complete your request form completely and accurately. Check to ensure that your topic is relevant, your descriptions accurately match your panel’s title and content, and show us that you have put a great deal of thought into your presentation.
3. Panels should reflect an aspect of the fandoms we represent. Raleigh Supercon does reserve the right to reject panels if we feel the material is not appropriate for our convention.
4. Make sure your panel is appropriate. We pride ourselves on being family friendly, which means that your panel is not demeaning, rude, embarrassing, or derogatory to anyone. 18+ panels are allowed, but you are responsible for checking IDs at the door. We do not allow “Truth or Dare” type panels or “Ask a Character” events due to the nature of the questions.
5. Supercon does not accept panels that require an admission fee. All of Supercon panels are to be open to any and all registered attendees; attendees should only need their convention badge to attend a panel. A small materials only fee may be charged on a case by case basis that involve creating crafts. Prior to submitting a panel that might require the material fee please email firstname.lastname@example.org prior to submission.
6. Guest panels have priority. Because scheduling for these panels can be erratic and take up much of ‘prime-time’ programming between Noon and five pm on Saturday and Sunday, being flexible on your scheduling increases the chances we will find an acceptable time-slot for your panel.
7. Notify us at email@example.com immediately of any changes or problems as soon as they arise.
8. It is the responsibility of the panelist to meet with the AV team at the convention at least an 20 minutes before their panel starts if they wish to use computers or other devices in their panel. Please note that Raleigh Supercon does NOT provide laptops in the panel rooms. We do provide speakers, projectors, and microphones upon request.
9. Be respectful to Raleigh Supercon staff, volunteers, and the other panelists.
10. Start on time and end on time. All panels should end in enough time for you to clean up and remove your materials so the next panel can start on time.
11. Be a registered attendee at Raleigh Supercon. For hosting a panel, the main host listed on the form will only receive one admission ticket per panel, for the day of that panel. Groups with multiple members are encouraged to lead several panels in order to cover admission for more members. Rleigh Supercon is not responsible for any additional admission.
12. Supercon will notify all panelists if their panel has been accepted by June 4, 2019. Because of over scheduling, your panel may be canceled even after it has been approved. In that case, you will still receive an admission ticket for that day.
13. Every attempt will be made to ensure that the Panelist/s will be scheduled for their preferred day and time, and Raleigh Supercon will also attempt to avoid scheduling the Panelist/s for any major events that the Panelist may have an interest in attending, though no guarantees can be made. Make sure to note any event that you do not want to miss on the Panel Request Form.
14. Raleigh Supercon will provide AV support, within reason. Please note that laptops are NOT provided. We strongly encourage you to have a back-up plan because regardless of how well you or we plan.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions regarding panels.